Sweetened cassava is a classic sweet treat to satisfy even the most decadent craving. This dish provides a soft and dense texture from cassava, with a lovely delicate flavor. The cassava absorbs the simple syrup really well. You also get to enjoy a nice rich flavor from the coconut cream.
This easy recipe only contains a few ingredients to complete, making it economical and simple to make. You probably have these food items in your pantry anyway. We need cassava, sugar, water, coconut milk, lime juice, rice flour and salt.
Cassava is a tapioca plant which is found in Asia, South America and Africa. It is also known as Yuca. People produce tapioca starch from their roots. This crop is easy to grow, even in the poorest soils and driest regions. This product is generally a good source of carbohydrates and fiber. In addition, It gives you lots of energy!
2 cassava or yuca (peeled and cut into 3-4 pieces)
½ cup of coconut milk (using coconut cream)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 tablespoon of rice flour
3 cups of water
● Add the water, sugar and lime juice to a large skillet over medium heat, wait until the sugar is dissolved and bring to boil.
● Lower the heat and add the cassavas to cook in the skillet. Keep simmering until the syrup is reduced and the cassavas are soft and shiny. It should take around 50 minutes to 1 hour.
● Remove from the stove and put on the plate.
● Add the coconut cream to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice flour and salt to cook in the coconut cream. Keep stirring until combined together. After the coconut milk gets bubbling, remove from the stove and let it cool down.
● Serve the dessert with coconut sauce over it.
● Enjoy your nice treat!
Sweetened Cassava Conclusion
I use yuca, which is very easy to find in our local stores. For home chefs who cook yuca regularly, you can create delicious desserts sometime. The yuca’ s skin might be a little hard to peel. Therefore, try cutting it into smaller pieces before peeling.
The lime juice is a good ingredient to prevent the cassava from getting dark. It is a nice tip to keep the color stay nice and shiny. The rice flour is perfect to add to the coconut cream to prevent the coconut milk from separating. However, if you can’t find rice flour, it is fine to skip it. This dessert is still so delicious.
You can keep this treat in a refrigerator for up to one week. The coconut sauce might be good for 2-3 days. Taste it before using it to be sure!