Thai noodle recipes are certainly a Chinese influenced mainstay within Thai cuisine, since trade between the countries goes back millennia. Thai people modified traditional Chinese noodle recipes to be more suitable for the Thai palate.
In Thailand, noodle kiosks are some of the most popular small businesses and these can be found all over the country. In Bangkok, there are tens of thousands of noodle stands serving the needs of a huge and hungry population, rich and poor alike! Most of Thai street food carts have some tables and chairs where famished patrons can sit and eat, but most do not have formal menus! Instead, the customer simply asks the host what is available that day and is guaranteed a special treat.
You can find many sautéed noodles dishes, such as Pad Thai Noodles, Drunken noodles, Pad See Ew noodles and a selection of noodle soups. Street food noodles are so yummy and are a real value. In other words, noodles are Thai fast food. Noodles truly embody real Thai cooking and are well loved worldwide.
Types of Thai Noodle Recipes
Fresh flat rice noodles are wide rice noodles which Thai people call Sen Yai. You can find these at most Asian grocery stores. These are really long noodles which are cut to the preferred size. Being that these are freshly prepared, they typically stay fresh in the fridge for about a week. These traditional noodles can be prepared very easily, even in the microwave, and form the basis for a great number of the best Thai recipes.
Rice stick noodles are dried rice noodles which are similar to linguini pasta. It is called Sen Lek in Thai. These noodles need to soak in cold water before being cooked to create your favorite dish. Pad Thai recipes are made with these noodles and so are many noodle soups.
Bean thread noodles are made from mung beans, which are known as Woon sen. The noodles size is about the same as vermicelli noodles. However, the appearance is very different, with bean threads being shinier and clearer. These are often found at Asian markets, since they are very popular in many types of Southeast Asian foods.
Fresh egg noodles, also known as Ba mee, also look like vermicelli in size and color. The noodles can be prepared by steaming and adding vegetable and meat, or added to a broth if desired. You can keep these fresh noodles in the refrigerator up to one week.
Rice spaghetti is called Kanom Jeen. It is a rice stick which is the same size as regular spaghetti. The noodles are made from rice and water. The texture is quite soft and chewy. This product is more starchy and sticky than other types of noodles.
Thai Noodle Recipes
There are hundreds of ways to mix your favorite Thai noodle recipes to suit your taste. First, you need to learn about the different styles of noodle recipes and the common Thai ingredients which will combine well to form a delicious dish. Wok skill is required for sautéing, but this is easy to pick up. If you are noodle soup lover, I recommend trying some of the sumptuous broth recipes.
- Pad Thai is a Thailand noodle recipe established everywhere in the world. Thai Rice noodles are sautéed with bean sprouts, Thai chives, tofu and egg. Pad Thai noodle recipes require tamarind, palm sugar, fish sauce, lime, crush peanut and red pepper. You can add meat or shrimp, as options. The balance of flavors makes this dish so incredibly unique.
- Drunken noodles are a spicy and savory dish legendarily created by a hungry drunk man. Some people call these angry noodles, due to the inventor being hungry and therefore, cranky (my husband, maybe?). In addition, this recipe has the reputation of helping to cure a hangover from drinking the whole night long. Thai basil and chili pepper are real secrets to making the dish so tasty.
- Pad See Ew noodles are traditionally prepared with flat, wide rice noodles sautéed with black soy sauce and Chinese broccoli. You have the choice to add some meat or seafood, to taste. I like to add varied seasonings such as vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and pepper.
- Dried Sukiyaki contains bean thread noodles, meat, seafood, vegetables and egg. Thai sukiyaki sauce expands tremendous of flavor to the next level.
- Rad na noodles are prepared with flat, wide rice noodles, then sautéed with black soy sauce and topped with thick gravy. The seasonings will bring out savory sensations for the adventurous.
- Thai curry noodles are well-prepared stir-fry dish. This vegetarian noodle style provides a sensational flavor. It is a great way to enjoy delicious noodles.
- Kua Gai noodles are made with flat, wide rice noodles perfectly stir fried with with egg and green onion. These noodles usually include chicken and preserved squid served with lettuce for an authentic Thai recipe.
- Mee Ga ti noodles are also known as sautéed rice vermicelli with coconut milk, chive and bean sauce or Mee Siam. The coconut milk provides this recipe with a distinctly different taste. This noodle dish is also flavorful from the delicious sauce that combines tamarind, sugar, fish sauce, tomato paste and coconut milk. This particular tasty version is from the old recipe by my grandma. She prepared it for my lunch often during summer time.
- Pad woon sen is a traditional stir fried glass noodle. This delicious dish provides lovely flavor and nice texture from woon sen. It is a painless recipe to cook Thai at home.
- Thai chicken noodle soup is my ultimate food fan pleaser. The noodles and chicken broth are quite easy to prepare, but unbelievably delectable. You can use any kinds of steamed noodles and just add vegetables, chicken and soup. In addition, the seasoning will bring the taste of noodle soup to another level.
Thai Noodle Recipes Summary
There are many varieties of recipes for Thai noodles to prepare every day for lunch or dinner. Thai food is healthier than most other fast food options for a cheap bite to eat. Noodles are quick and easy, but still full of proper nutrition. To make these recipes at home, buy a good wok or deep skillet.
I use my heavy stir fry pan to prepare my yummy noodles almost everyday. My husband is such a big noodle fan, he almost licks the plate after he finishes his lunch! Thai people enjoy having noodles for their meals and so do diners all across the globe. In other words, Thai noodle recipes are popular for everybody.
Noodles are a great way to get started learning to cook Thai food. I am sure if you can cook simple pasta recipes, then noodles will not be too difficult for you. Thai Noodle dishes will impress your family and friends for many occasions with their spicy and exotic flavors. Don’t forget to surprise your family with a Pad Thai party at home!