Eating at a Thai restaurant is often a person’s first exposure to the wonders of Southeast Asian food. Thai eating establishments are loved the world over for their fantastic flavors, excellent value and unique delicacies.
Furthermore, restaurants that specialize in Thai cuisine come in every variation, ranging from fast food take out and street food carts to the most luxurious bistros and Asian fusion gourmets.
I hope this article detailing how Thai food is featured in restaurants will help you to enhance your dining pleasure the next time you go out to eat Thai!
Thai Restaurant Details
As previously mentioned, restaurants which serve Thai specialties come in a great variety and scope… Here are some of the many possibilities for dining out at a Thai establishment:
- Thai street food carts and shops are the best way to sample the various types and regional variations of the cuisine when in Thailand or any Thai Town worldwide.
- Thai take out is a fast food option offered by a great number of restaurants. Some businesses even offer Thai food delivery to make at-home or office dining super convenient!
- Authentic Thai food restaurants pride themselves of serving food which would be recognizable and enjoyable to a native Thai person. “Just like grandma used to make!”
- The Best Thai Food Restaurant is a prestigious title, but is often regionally overused, such as “The best Thai in town” (and also the only Thai eatery in town!)
- Exotic Thai food restaurants specialize in wooing the client with a lush décor and otherworldly imagery. Some are great, but many substitute style for substance.
- Gourmet Thai food restaurants are the brainchildren of the top chefs. It is nearly impossible for any restaurant brand to ignore Thai as an inclusion to its stable of eateries. Gourmet Thai is rarely authentic, but may be utterly delicious!
- Isaan Thai food restaurants, also commonly spelled Esan Thai food restaurants, offer the spicy fare of the Northeast section of the country.
- Southern Thai food restaurants specialize in the very different food items served in the south of Thailand.
- Central Thai food restaurants serve food from Bangkok and the center of the country.
- Thai fusion restaurants blend Thai foods and flavors with other international cuisines. Although certainly not real Thai, fusion can be a joy to experience and can bring new life to old favorites!
- Many readers write in to ask advice on how to order at a Thai food restaurant.
Thai Restaurant Information
Thai cooking is a restaurant setting will be very different from a meal prepared at home. In many establishments, ingredients must be substituted to make the recipe more commercially viable and you might be surprised just how “un-Thai” the kitchen of a local restaurant might just be!
Unless you are truly eating at a mom and pop shop in Thailand or in a major Thai Town, there is little hope of getting the real deal when it comes to true Thai fare.
That being said, this does not mean that the food will not be terrific and super satisfying. Authentic can be over-rated in many cases. Don’t forget, sometimes changes have been made to recipes to make them better not just different!
Thai Restaurant Advice
Ok, ready to eat? I sure am! Go on and try some local Thai establishments. If you spend some time on this website first, you will learn enough to make your dining experience even more delightful. Remember, it will take you some time to learn the menu and maybe even to get a taste for cuisine which may be new to some of you.
Remember also that every restaurant has their own way of preparing food and you might love a particular dish at one place, but loath it at another! Never be afraid to ask questions and feel free to request special orders or ingredients.
Do not forget that some Thai food is very spicy, so you might want to inquire about the heat level of a dish before ordering!