Thai rice recipes form the basis of many Thai people’s daily food consumption. In Thailand, it simply is not a proper meal without some form of delicious rice dish. During a typical Thai meal, jasmine rice will always be served as part of the entrée or as a side offering.
This unique type of rice creates the distinctive Thai flavor loved worldwide. Fried rice dishes are especially popular and can be used as main courses or side dishes. Rice is truly one of the easiest and most satisfying meals to prepare and will surely become a mainstay in your own Thai cooking arsenal.
Variety of Thai Rice Recipes
- Thai fried rice is formed using sautéed rice to which is added some vegetables and/or meat or seafood. Thai fried rice is very practical for lunch because of the low cost, speed of cooking and its ability to fill the belly for a long day of work.
- Thai shrimp fried rice is stir fried rice with shrimp. The recipe consists of rice, shrimp, garlic, onion and soy sauce. It is really fast and spectacular.
- Thai basil fried rice is sautéed rice with chopped fresh chilies and basil leaves, seasoned with salt, pepper and soy sauce. This dish gives off the scent of herbs with a spicy fragrance. Hot food fans should not miss this Thai recipe.
- Pineapple fried rice is sautéed rice with pineapple, bell pepper, raisins and cashew nuts, all mixed together with soy sauce, salt and pepper. This dish is very popular due to the combination of sweetness provided by the pineapple and the crunchiness of the cashews. Who would think all those ingredients would blend so well together.
- Green curry fried rice has a full and rich flavor from green curry paste. This delicious recipe is perfect for a quick meal. You can add fried eggs or fried fish for more substantial dish.
- Thai curry fried rice is sautéed rice with the choice of meat, seafood and/or vegetables added. All types feature curry powder, chopped fresh chilies and basil leaves. Curry fans will love this form of Thai food and will want to eat it again and again to get their “spicy fix”.
Information about Thai Rice Recipes
All jasmine rice recipes can play many roles on the dinner table. They can be main courses, side dishes or interesting treats. Any rice recipe makes an excellent accompaniment to western dishes, such as chicken or even steak. Rice will provide another option, instead of regular mashed or baked potatoes.
The most important part of making any fried rice is that the rice should be of perfect consistency not dried or mushy. You can always use instant white rice for your convenience, but for authentic Thai food taste, it is recommended to purchase and use jasmine rice. Luckily, this type of rice is almost always available at any large supermarket.
If you don’t have a rice cooker at home, you can buy one at any major store for about $20. Alternately, you can purchase cooked rice from your local Thai restaurant. It should only cost about $1 for plain cooked rice. You can use your left-over rice from a Thai take-out order to make some home-made fried rice dish at home. What a good idea!