Thai salad recipes can typically be described as a sour and spicy dressing mixed with vegetable, noodles, meats or seafood. There are many salad recipes which can be prepared as appetizers or entrées. In very few cases do Thai people eat salads as a warm-up dish, like in the west, since these dishes are meal-quality and super satisfying.
All salad recipes in Thailand usually contain lime, fish sauce, sugar, palm sugar, tamarind and chilies. However the fish sauce can be replaced with salt for a vegetarian version of the recipe. Limes and chilies are absolutely essential for the salad dressing. As usual, Thai style salad dressings must the balance of the flavors of salty, sweet, sour and spicy.
That is always the key to making good Thai food. I am a big fan of spicy salad, especially for dinner. This meal is unbelievably tasty, healthy and less fattening than almost any other option. Therefore, Thai style salads are ideal for people who are watching their weight or even on active diets.
Thai Salad Recipes Guide
- Papaya Salad is also called Som Tam and is well known all over the world. Who would think raw papaya can provide such a heavenly texture for a salad dish. In Thailand, people like to enjoy Som Tam very, very spicy… This dish is sold everywhere from street food vendors to high-end restaurants. However, the side walk eateries and local restaurants are the virtually always the best!
- Thai beef salad is made from lettuce mixed with onion, tomatoes and grilled beef. The dressing is a mixture of lime, fish sauce, palm sugar and chilies. It is so delicious and flavorful. You can easily substitute chicken or pork for the beef, as well, for a more authentic Thai taste.
- Thai mango salad is a refreshing starter to begin your meal. The mango in this delicious dish contains many vitamins.
- Yum woon sen is also known as Thai bean thread noodle salad. The dish is a mix of glass noodles, ground pork, shrimp, onions, scallions and chilies. Don’t forget the ultimate dressing spicy and delicious. This salad can be your meal by itself and is very healthy and low carb.
- Thai tuna salad is a perfect dish on any lazy days. It is so refreshing and tasty. This salad gives you good nutrition.
- Thai fried egg salad is cooked egg tossed with spicy dressing. This salad recipe is perfect for egg lovers.
- Thai seafood salad is called Yum Talay. The seafood is mixed with Thai spicy dressing and served with lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and onions. Seafood lovers should not miss this recipe. It’s spicy, savory and delicious.
- Nam sod is from the north of Thailand. You can make this dish with ground pork or minced chicken. The salad is so flavorful from the combination of ginger and spicy salad dressing. This salad also has a distinctive crunchiness from peanuts.
- Larb is from northeast of Thailand, called Isaan, which is home to many delicious salads. The recipe is crafted using ground chicken, ground beef or ground pork. The aromas of mints leaves, red onions, scallions and roasted rice make this a terrific Thai recipe.
- Thai seafood papaya salad is a spicy som tum with shell fish dish. It is a good plate to start your meal. Very flavorful!
- Spicy zucchini salad is a perfect savory starter. This recipe makes your life easier to cook Thai at home.
- Thai egg salad is a fast cooking dish. This easy recipe contains great nutrition from egg. It is simply delicious.
- Thai eggplant salad includes eggplant, ground chicken, shrimp, boiled egg and peanut. It is an awesome recipe for eggplant lovers.
- Thai shrimp salad is also called Pla Goong. This salad can also be made using squid for calamari lovers. The dressing needed consists of chili paste, lemongrass, lime, palm sugar and fish sauce. The taste and smell of the lemongrass make the dish is so divine.
Thai Salad Recipes Dressing Information
Thai style salad dressing is very easy to prepare and will form the majority of the taste palate for your salad. You can find traditional Thai ingredients from any Asian grocery store, and these will include chili paste, lemongrass, palm sugar, fish sauce and fresh chilies. Cilantro, scallion and garlic are also flavorful components to add when preparing your favorite salad recipes.
The preparation technique only requires 1 bowl and a spoon to mix the salad dressing. When complete, toss the dressing with your choice of vegetables, noodles, seafood or meat. Just combine everything together. Isn’t that easy? Yes, it is simple, fun and nutritious.
Thai Salad Recipes Conclusion
In Thai language, salad is called Yum. The name implies the deliciousness of the meal! Thai salad recipes offer another choice for people who are dieting, as well as those who prefer a light meal. A preference for “spicy” is also required to truly enjoy the authentic Thai style salad experience. The charm of the dressings comes from the freshness of the ingredients, the aroma of the herbs and the exotic flavors inherent to amazing Thai cuisine.
Salad dishes can also be served with sticky rice as a side order. This is a great way to fill a hungry stomach while keeping the calorie count to a minimum. I like to dip the sticky rice into the dressing to absorb the flavor of the salad. In addition, I prefer to include raw cabbage or any kind of lettuce to accompany the salad and sticky rice.
Finally, a nice cold beer is quite an ideal complement for a spicy salad. This may be just the incentive your man might need to give a Thai salad a serious look for dinner. My mouth is watering! Are you hungry now?