Thai soup recipes are usually for the main course, as opposed to an opening appetizer or side dish. This is very different than many types of Western food in which soups are a great opening treat. Soups in Thailand are almost exclusively clear broths or light coconut milk based dishes with the addition of herbs, vegetables, meat and seafood.
Soups in Southeast Asian cuisine are known to be wonderfully fragrant and full of the typical spicy and exotic flavors of the region, including basil and chilies. In this Thai recipe section, I will concentrate on many varieties of soups found in Thai cuisine and will detail some of my personal favorites for you. Enjoy!
Thai Soup Recipes Categories
Here are some of the many famous Thailand soup recipes which I love to cook at home. Check out each for detailed instructions on how to prepare the dish and how best to serve it for maximum enjoyment:
- Tom Yum soup is also known as Thai Lemon grass soup. This soup is very famous and well loved among Thai people. It is also an established mainstay in Thai restaurants worldwide. The broth is prepared with fresh Thai herbs such as lemongrass, galangal and lime leaves. The flavor saturation and heat can be played up or toned down, depending on the preferences of each chef.
- Tom Ka soup is also known as Thai coconut soup. The coconut milk base increases the richness of the broth. This is a very fragrant soup featuring the wonderful aroma and flavor of the yummy oyster mushroom.
- Thai seafood soup provides a fresh flavor from the sea. This spicy and flavorful soup has great combinations between herbs and seafood.
- * Thai wonton soup creates a lovely hot soup with dumplings. Boil the chicken stock, then add celery, carrot and onion to flavor the soup. Put the dumplings in the broth to cook, then sprinkle with chopped scallions and serve immediately after the dumplings are done.
- Hot and sour soup is a classic homemade recipe to cook at home. This soup is a good choice to start your fist course. It is really easier to prepare than you think.
- Thai chicken meatball soup is a bowl of delicious homemade small meatballs and vegetables in clear broth. This soup is hearty and healthy.
- Thai vegetable soup is a meat-free option for vegetarian food fans. This soup forms a light and healthy meal which is still incredibly satisfying for all due to its unique flavors and textures. Adding chilies, herbs and sauces into the soup will give it lots of interest factor, enough to keep even the most adventurous food connoisseurs happy! Although the weather is almost always super hot in most of Thailand, this treat will warm up wintry climates anywhere in the world!
- Thai vegetable stew is a traditional slow cooking recipe. This delectable stew is perfect to utilize your vegetables before they go bad. Of course, there are tons of good sources of vitamins and mineral in this meal.
- Thai chicken soup is wings in flavorful light clear broth. Soup gai provides fantastic taste included good health benefits in a bowl. It will certainly keep you warm in every season.
- Yen ta fo is a Thai style spicy noodle soup bowl. The homemade spicy sauce enhances numerous amount of fantastic flavors. It is superb!
Thai Soup Recipes Preparation
Once the base broth has been selected, the chef can truly customize the rest of the recipe to taste. There is no right or wrong way to make a soup in Thailand and many entrée dishes have soup equivalents with similar or identical ingredients.
Remember to look for a balance of flavors, including sweet, salty, sour, savory and spicy, as these are so crucial to preparing perfect Thai food. Remember also that the soup recipes are typically the main course and should be prepared in quantity and richness enough to satisfy a hearty appetite.
Of course, these delicious soups can still be served more in the western tradition of a starter for multi-course meals, as well.
Cooking Thai Soup Recipes
Learning to cook Thai is all about experimentation for many home chefs. Most will be intimidated at first and will have to take some time following simple Thai food recipes to get their courage up. Once they are ready, I always encourage chefs to play around with the typical ingredients to find some new ways of blending tastes to create something truly unique.
Soup is a great place to start this journey of recipe personification, since you can add virtually anything to the basic mix and have a superb result. Just remember to keep up the good work in the kitchen and do not ever be afraid to be a little creative.
To get a better idea of the fixings which will form an ideal base recipe, check my Thai food ingredients page. If I can help you with advice on a particular recipe that you are trying to get just right, feel free to write to me anytime!