Thai Spring Rolls are the most well known of all Thai appetizers. Spring rolls are also called po piah todd in Thai words. Fried rolls are typically found on the Thai street food scene, as well as in restaurants in all over the world.
The crunchiness of the rolls is extraordinary and the vegetable filling and sweet and sour sauce provides tons of flavors to start any dining experience. My Thai starters will provide sensational flavors and an authentic taste to enhance all your own efforts in cooking Thai food at home.
Thai Spring Rolls Ingredients
1 package of spring roll wrapper
100 g of bean thread noodles (soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained)
2 cups of grated carrot
2 cups of shredded green cabbage
½ cup of sliced shitake mushrooms
½ cup of diced onion
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
2 tablespoons of thin soy sauce
1 stalk of celery (cut small)
2 tablespoons of water
3 cup of vegetable oil
• Add 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep skillet on medium high heat. Put the garlic, vegetables, noodles and mushroom into the hot oil and season the filling mixture with soy sauce. Sauté the ingredients until the filling is well done.
• Let the filling cool down
• Lay a spring roll wrapper with the point up on the counter and add the filling in the middle of the wrapper.
• Fold the bottom edge up over the filling and insert behind the filling. Then fold the right edge and the left edge to the middle and roll tightly until the end of the wrapper.
• Seal the roll with water and repeat until finished.
• Heat the oil in the skillet high heat. Deep fry spring rolls until golden brown and remove the rolls to paper towels to blot the extra oil.
Thai Spring Roll Sauce Ingredients
½ cup of water
½ cup of Vinegar
½ cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of chilli garlic sauce
1 teaspoon of salt
• Add the water, vinegar, sugar, chilli garlic sauce and salt in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
• Stir to combine.
• Simmer until thick.
• Remove from the stove and let it cool down before serve.
Thai Spring Rolls Finale
Now you can enjoy homemade Thai-style spring rolls to share with your family and friends. This appetizer is perfect for everyone, since it is meat-free and so delicious. Vegetarians and vegans will delight in these tasty treats!
Wrapping the rolls might be a bit frustrating at first, as it is a particular skill to cultivate. However, just be patient, do not rush, and in no time, you will be a master! Let’s start cooking together!